The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The Day Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing programs and experiences for children in small and large group settings. The Day Camp Counselor will also be responsible for the general safety, development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The Day Camp Counselor will provide high quality indoor and outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants. Day Camp counselor will participate with campers in daily chapel services.
• Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, sports, swimming, chapel service etc.
• Maintain safety on buses/vans
• Identify and respond to camper behavior issues in accordance with The Salvation Army policies
• Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter
• Communicate and report concerns to Day Camp Director
• Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
• Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
• Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
• Participate with campers in all activities
• Upon hire, completion of The Salvation Army Safe from Harm certification.
• Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
• Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
• Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
• Strong organizational and communication skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to hiking, swimming, team building initiatives, physical games, and activities.
• Must have the ability to restrain and physically support children when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).
• Many activities will be physical in nature requiring a lot of walking and standing.
From time to time duties and responsibilities that are not outlined in this job description may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the Corps Officer, Day Camp Director or Assistant Day Camp Director.