Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The Director of Communications will report to the Executive Director of Development. Serving as an integral member of the Development Department’s senior management team, the Director of Communications will be responsible for maintaining and elevating The Salvation Army’s visibility as a nonprofit leader in providing a vast array of programs and services to people in need across metro Detroit and throughout the Eastern Michigan Division.
Summary: The Director of Communications will work alongside The Salvation Army’s existing public relations agency to develop and implement a strategic, integrated communications plan to drive broader awareness and increased donor support for the organization and its leadership among its various internal and external audiences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, implement and evaluate an annual integrated communications plan that sets and guides the strategy and messaging for all public relations, marketing and advertising initiatives to consistently articulate and further The Salvation Army’s mission.
• Identify challenges and emerging issues impacting The Salvation Army and work with leadership and board and committee members to address opportunities and solutions to strategically address them.
• Oversee all tactics detailed in the communications plan, including:
o Messaging for all Salvation Army campaigns and initiatives.
o Print collateral including, but not limited to, content development and design of newsletters, brochures, annual reports, news releases and other media materials, promotional flyers, etc.
o Website and other electronic communications – working in conjunction with The Salvation Army’s Director of Integrated Marketing – to ensure consistent messaging and timely posting of new and updated information such as event announcements, client testimonials, etc.
o Coordinating media relations efforts – both proactive and reactive – as well as help strategize media responses in crisis situations.
o Developing appropriate budgets for integrated communications initiatives.
• Provide counsel to the Director of Integrated Marketing on direct mail, telemarketing, e-commerce and social media initiatives.
• Support the Director of Public Events, Corporate Relations, Grants & Foundations in brainstorming corporate partnership benefits and developing partnership proposals.
• Provide content and direction to the Online & Creative Services Specialist in developing print and electronic collateral materials.
• Work with The Salvation Army’s existing public relations agency in determining initiatives and tasks according to scope of work and budget agreements.
• Oversee and facilitate promotional requests/collaborations from the national and territorial Salvation Army offices and The Salvation Army ARC, as well as those from corps community centers throughout metro Detroit and the Eastern Michigan Division.
• Track and measure the effectiveness of integrated communications efforts, providing recommendations for program adjustments, as necessary.
• Participate, as requested, in board and committee meetings and facilitate initiatives arising from these meetings, as assigned.
• Process requests from other development supervisors which includes but is not limited to the Director of Development, Director of Personal Giving, the Director of Events & Corporate Relations and the Director of Director of Integrated Marketing & Mail.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• At least 10 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity.
• The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
• Successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
• Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
• Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic, integrated communications programs to advance an organization's mission and goals.
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
• Self-starter, able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new, results-oriented initiatives
• Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
• Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives.
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, The Salvation Army’s Board of Directors and staff.
• Passion for The Salvation Army’s mission.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred. A minimum 10 years’ experience is preferred in a senior management role, either in-house or with an agency.
Computer Skills: Excellent knowledge of MS Office and use of the internet.
1. Reasoning Ability: Must show the ability to prioritize workload and redirect efforts frequently. Must be able to set goals and achieve objectives with excellent organizational skills with little to no supervision.
2. Certificates and Licenses: n/a
3. Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
4. Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
5. In addition: Must be highly organized, motivated, a self starter with the ability to multi-task, be creative.
From time to time duties and responsibilities that are not outlined in this job description may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the Executive Director of Development.