The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for the development of Salvation Army Youth Ministries. Responsible for the planning, implementation, coordination, promotion and evaluation of a balanced and comprehensive ministry of recreational, educational, spiritual, worship, and social activities for children in grades K-12. Work schedule subject to change based on program needs.
• Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters and maintains positive relationships with co-workers and supervisors. This would include but not be limited to such actions: resolution of conflicts in a positive manner; courteous treatment of staff, clients and visitors; respect of others' property and person, professional and appropriate communication to and about coworkers, supervisors and subordinates. Support the Mission of The Salvation Army by treating every donor, contact and colleague with respect and dignity, and without discrimination of any kind.
• Coordinate youth activities (Sunday School, Character Building Program, Teen Night, Jr Soldiers, Corps Cadets, etc.)
• Develop and coordinate a monthly outreach event with Booth Brown House residents.
• Responsible for implementing established Youth programs including the Afterschool and Summer Day Camp Programs.
• Oversee the recruitment, development, and training of all Youth Program staff and volunteers.
• Coordinate and provide appropriate transportation for all youth programs. (Pick-ups, Outings, take home, etc.)
• Coordinate youth involvement in Sunday Worship Services.
• Report on program activities in compliance with corps-church, divisional, and territorial expectations.
• Work with the Corps Officer on youth related programming budgets.
• Ensure that programming budget guidelines are adhered to.
• Ensure the spiritual integrity of all youth programs by making sure focus is placed on spiritual growth as well as physical and emotional safety.
• Secure Save From Harm Training and background checks for all direct contact youth volunteers.
• Recruit, train, and develop adequate and appropriate adult leadership to assist in your ministry.
• Be a representative of The Salvation Army and its mission and available for community, divisional, and territorial activities as assigned.
• Participate, inform and encourage involvement in regional, divisional, and territorial Salvation Army Activities (Camps, Corps-Church Retreats, Youth Councils, Pilgrimage, Rallies, etc.) This could include some traveling.
• Attend and participate in program meetings, staff meetings, and Corps Council meetings.
• Assist staff and/or congregational members in the planning and implementation of neighborhood outreach special events.
• Manage youth visitation to include home visits, school visits, detention center visits, etc.
Additional Job Functions
• Supervision of assigned staff and volunteers as needed.
• Asist with seasonal kettle campaign
• Work in close contact with employees, volunteers, students, client families, community and civic professionals and members of the general public.
• Other duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree in Child Development, Ministry or Education with at least five years of proven experience working with youth and teens. Preferred work experience with The Salvation Army including work with youth in ministerial, summer camp, and or educational environment. Supervisory experience is desirable.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a vibrant personal witness reflecting an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize tasks is essential. Ability to promote The Salvation Army Youth Ministries through public speaking, written work and personal example. Ability to work effectively with diverse populations. Maturity to respect confidentiality of sensitive student/family/client information and business operations.
Ability to operate basic office equipment, operate computer and office software. The successful candidate much have current driver's license, attain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within 60 days of hire, and be able to maintain TSA Driver Qualification program.
Must be able to pass The Salvation Army's background checks. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provision of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.