To provide avocation to all the clients of Emergency Housing Program in a positive and helpful manner and ensure the health and safety of the clients and unit. This position is part time with a work week expectation of 24 hours.
• Meet and greet all clients in a professional and courteous manner.
• Answer all telephone calls in a polite, courteous and professional manner, answering general inquiries and take messages as needed.
• Develop and maintain a positive rapport with clients.
• Report client information, questions or concerns to Caseworker’s unit coordinator in a timely manner.
• Conduct intake interviewing and provide referrals for appropriate resources as needed.
• Assist clients with completing the Combined Application Form (CAF).
• Orient new clients to The Salvation Army’s Rules of Residency
• Follow the shelter intake policies and procedures.
• Enter intake information, including case notes, into ServicePoint.
• Provide a safe environment for guests to ensure that positive change may take place for those utilizing shelter services.
• Ensure prompt and accurate notification to supervisor when there are shelter needs, such as low supplies and food items, etc.
• Assist in de-escalating situations as they occur
• Monitor the client by performing routine hourly rounds of the building or as needed.
• Enforcement of client rules.
• Monitor all entrances and exit points.
• Monitor the clients at all times, including meal periods and clean-up.
• Maintain accurate logbooks and other communications.
• Be professional at all time.
• Attend staff meetings and in-service trainings as requested.
• Maintain linens; stripping beds, washing linens, including kitchen linens, and returning to stock.
• Clean and disinfect any areas that are contaminated by a client’s body fluids in a safe and prompt manner. Body fluid would include; blood, urine, fecal matter, vomit, etc.
• Assist with cleaning as assigned; ensuring facility and laundry are kept neat and orderly.
• Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with co-workers and supervisors. This would include, but not limited to such actions: conflict resolution in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, visitors and clients; respect of others property, person, and appropriate communication to and about co-workers and supervisors.
• Support the mission of The Salvation Army by treating every client and colleague with individual respect and dignity, and without discrimination of any kind.
• Work with the clients to ensure that their health and safety concerns are being met.
• Assist with special projects and seasonal programs.
• Perform all other duties as assigned or at management requests.
Must personally embrace The Salvation Army Mission. High School Diploma/GED with a minimum of one year work experience assisting individuals, preferably in homeless shelter or other client/customer focused environment. Must be able to take supervision and direction, demonstrate sensitivity to issues of homelessness, chemical addiction, and unemployment, racial and cultural diversity, possess an aptitude in both written and oral communications and be trustworthy, especially in confidential matters. Must be computer literate with familiarity with Windows based programs, willing to support the mission of The Salvation Army, a valid drivers’ license preferred and able to meet the MVR driver’s qualification, and pass the background check. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment, and also understood that the required Safe from Harm training program must be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.