The Salvation Army Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Under the direction of the HAWC Coordinator, provide comprehensive housing assessments and appropriate community referrals to households who are facing a housing crisis.
1. Answer calls in a timely manner and determine the primary need and discern the urgency of the presenting housing crisis.
2. Provide comprehensive housing assessments utilizing modules in the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) Service Point.
3. Assist with housing information and/or referrals with the goal of preventing homelessness and/or securing permanent housing.
4. Develop an “Action Plan” utilizing a strength based approach with each consumer. The Action Plan will identify housing options and resources that are available to complement the consumer’s needs, resources, and expectations.
5. Record all data in “real time” within HMIS Service Point.
6. Provide and maintain community linkages as appropriate to the needs of the consumer and provide as much information to the consumer as possible.
7. Develop and maintain knowledge of social case work methods and techniques.
8. Attend community meetings, workshops, seminars related to homeless issues as required.
9. Complete other duties as assigned.
1. Associate degree in a human service field.
2. One year of customer service experience required. Experience in a social service setting preferred.
3. Basic understanding of issues facing people in poverty and crisis with a commitment and desire to assist individuals and families achieve stability, health, wholeness, and independence.
4. Proven communication, both verbal and written, and interpersonal skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to interact positively with individuals, colleagues and community agencies.
6. Excellent customer service skills and phone etiquette
7. Basic computer literacy required.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels or work difficulty that will be required of this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
The normal hours of program operation are Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. This is a part time, 20 hour a week position. While a scheduled shift will be provided in advance, the ability to work additional or flexible hours may be required to fulfill the duties of this position.