Responsible for driving the truck to pick-up donations from donors. Responds to customer requests and concerns, assists in the receipt/sorting of donations, and sales of thrift store goods. Also, directs thrift store volunteers as necessary. This is a regular part time position with a workweek expectation of 25 hours per week.
Description of Position
• Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with staff, volunteers (including Service Unit Committee volunteers), supervisors, and customers.
This includes, but is not limited to, such actions as: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, volunteers, visitors and clients; respect of others’ property and person; and professional and appropriate communication to and about clients, co-workers and supervisors. Interaction in these relationships should always be respectful and professional. No less will be accepted.
• Provides independent, courteous problem-solving services to thrift store customers in a timely, accurate, and effective manner. Forwards concerns/suggestions/complaints to the appropriate individual.
• Provides delivery/pick-up services to donors and for the thrift store as directed by the store manager.
• Ability to assist donors with unloading of donations from the donor’s vehicles and provides receipts for donations.
• Operates cash register, accurately recording each sale and bagging customer’s purchases.
• Ability to sort, price and place only saleable donated items on the sales floor for display.
• Assists in keeping the sales and warehouse floor clean and neat by picking up any debris and safety hazards.
• Directs volunteers as they complete tasks throughout the thrift store.
• All other duties as assigned by thrift store management.
High school diploma, general equivalency diploma (GED) or equivalent education and experience, and minimum of one year customer service experience preferred. Amiable, helpful, courteous, and respectful demeanor, with ability to work well with fellow employees and volunteers, take supervision from thrift store site manager, and demonstrate concern for thrift store customers. Must be able to lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds. Must be able to pass The Salvation Army’s background/credit check, have a valid MN driver’s license and complete MVR. Must be willing to support the philosophy, goals, mission, and objectives of The Salvation Army. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.