The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination
• Develop weekly menu plans for lunch.
• Oversee kitchen activities, meal preparation, serving of meals, and clean up.
• Take inventory of incoming food and supplies as well as communicate any needs.
• Maintain necessary records related to food service, menus, inventories and other related matters.
• Implement cleaning schedule for kitchen and dining area.
• Implement cleaning schedule for refrigerators and freezers.
• Attend food conferences and seminars to keep abreast of new meal items and nutritional components.
• Participate in regular staff meetings.
• Follow all health department guidelines and provide in-service training to all staff and volunteers on health department rules and regulations necessary to assist with cooking or serving individuals.
• Provide on-site supervision and support during soup kitchen serving times.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. An Illinois food service sanitation certificate must be obtained within 90 days
Experience: Training in dietetics, meal planning and quantity cooking helpful; must be able to follow directions and food guidelines required by the local Health Department and Illinois Board of Education Children and Adult Food Programs; must be able to relate well to both children and adults from all cultures and backgrounds; have a working knowledge of community food resources, good communication and organizational skills; must demonstrate honesty and think independently. Also, individual must be willing to become familiar with and support the mission of The Salvation Army; must be able to pass background check.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment: This Position is required to do moderate to strenuous physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to lift 25+ pounds, bend, twist, carry, sit and stand for extended time periods. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to focus. The work environment for this position includes an environment with a high noise level. Individual must be able to work with clients that have poor social skills, suffer from mental illness, and have substance abuse problems.