SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
I. Organizing and Planning all Activities
A. Helping plan 8 weeks of activities according to program parameters and objectives
B. Helping plan alternatives for days of inclement weather
C. Purchasing and assembling materials and equipment as requested by director
D. Working with director to arrange Field Trips, Swim Schedules, Activities
E. Organizing and Preparing Storage areas, Staff Work areas, Class areas, Play areas
F. Helping with End-of-summer written evaluation of program and brief for next year
G. Helping with End-of-summer clean-up and storage of equipment and materials.
II. Enrolments and Participant Records
A. Handle Participant Intake and records in absence of Director
1. Enrolment Forms, referral forms, permissions
2. Participant Meds Instructions, documentation, storage, distribution- (to be discussed)
B. Keep Ongoing Observation records for outcome-based evaluation
Assist Director and Corps Officer with Objectives and Outcome records, including children’s surveys
III. Teaching/Leading Activities
A. Working with Director and staff to organize the teaching/leading of activities
B. Working with Director to formulate discipline structure and incentives
C. Formulating and distributing appropriate permission slips when needed
D. Driving 12 passenger van for swim trips and field trips when needed
IV. Directing others:
A. Directing Program Staff/Teacher and Program Aide in director’s absence
B. Directing teen and possibly adult volunteers as aides in programming, preparation, cleanup etc.
C. Directing / assisting with cleanup at the end of each day
V. Supervising either Dining Room or Summer Rec Kids during lunch hours
A. Assist in lunchtime supervision as scheduled by director
B. 20 minute staggered break times will be scheduled for each worker, onsite but away from kids
VI. Other duties as needed for the success of this program and authorized by Corps Officer
• Must love kids. Must possess sensitivity and compassion for disadvantaged families.
• Must have a positive attitude and the attributes of flexibility, creativity, and the ability to have fun
• Must enjoy making the world better, one life at a time, as part of The Salvation Army mission of Christian service, and as such have personal standards that fit with this mission
• This individual relates to, and interacts with, a wide range of contacts both within and outside the Salvation Army. In these contacts, he/she acts as a representative of the Army and its mission.
• Supervision will be given by the Summer Program Director
• This individual will not commit Army resources that have not been allocated or approved.
• This individual will keep their supervisor informed concerning all critical issues relating to his/her area of responsibility.
• This individual will adhere to all Army policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position and will accurately represent its teachings and mission.
• Current elementary school teacher certification preferred.
• Some experience at teaching on regular or substitute basis
• Must be able to comfortably work as Assistant to the Director
• Must be over 21, have a valid Michigan drivers license, less than 9 points on your license (state Motor Vehicle Record) and learn to drive a 12-passenger van in the two-week prep period
• Chauffers’ license required (SA will cover cost if person hired does not have this)
• Must be able to work within the mission of The Salvation Army.
• Must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army and an appreciation of faith-based organizations
• Must be able to communicate effectively in interpersonal communication and written mediums.
• Must be able to handle difficult people and situations, when necessary.
• Display willingness to learn and be flexible.
• Must be computer literate, with some knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
• This position is required to do moderate physical work, including lifting/moving items up to 30 lbs.
• This position may require standing, walking or occasional running for up to 3.5 hrs at a time
• This position is required to function in warm conditions, both indoors and out, for part of day
• This position is required to monitor playground activity for up to an hour each day
• This position requires the regular use of hands to prepare educational and activity materials
HOURS 30-40 hrs per week, Mon-Fri, 9:00 am - 4:00pm.