The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Provide for a safe and secure environment for homeless individuals accessing shelter services. Conduct new client intakes, enter data into the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) and provide assistance to the homeless as needed. Provide Safety Net and/or Drop-in Center program oversite.
• Provide a safe and secure environment for clients to include contacting. emergency responders or crisis intervention personnel as needed.
• Provide clients with referrals and information of community programs as needed.
• Enforce program guidelines, policies and procedures.
• Deescalate situations and provide conflict resolution techniques as needed.
• Determine client eligibility.
• Conduct an initial intake and program orientation for new clients.
• Record data into the HMIS system.
• Maintain daily log, forms and paperwork as required.
• Prepare and serve meals to clients as program dictates.
• Ensure the facility is clean and sanitary at the end of a shift.
• Monitor the perimeter of the facility to ensure a safe and clean environment.
• Remain on duty if there is a problem with the relieving shift (sick employee) or until another staff member arrives.
• Attend staff meetings as scheduled.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
On call position. May be required to work some third shift.
Education: Successful candidates seeking to fill this position must possess a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. While some college education is preferred, having at least five years of experience of providing compassionate care and supervision to vulnerable populations is an asset.
Experience: Individual must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Possess sound judgment and excellent decision making skills. Individual must have the ability to work independently with little supervision or in a team environment. Possess a positive attitude in working with high risk clients, volunteers and donors. Be dependable, honest and trustworthy. Possess the ability to relate empathetically without prejudice to a vulnerable population. Individual must be willing to become familiar with and support the mission of The Salvation Army and must be able to pass background check.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment: This Position is required to do light to moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to remain stationary for some periods of time, use hands and fingers, communicate, move, occasionally required to position self to stoop, kneel or crouch, frequently required to reach with and use arms and hands as required in using standard office equipment and a PC when available. Individual must be able to frequently left up to twenty five pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to focus. Individual must be able to work with clients that have poor social skills, suffer from mental illness, and have substance abuse problems. The work environment for this position is a residential environment with a moderate to loud noise level. Work schedule varies.