The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
• Plans, coordinates, instructs, supervises, monitors and evaluates the work performance of the Food Service Manager, Program Manager/Transitional Housing Case Managers and Maintenance Supervisor Ensures compliance to TSA and Departmental policies and procedures.
• Conducts regular staff meetings and in-service trainings.
• Oversees the reporting of accurate case records, documentation of services provided through all programs. Oversees monthly statistical and in-kind donation reports to the Finance Department.
• Review, approve and manage annual department program budgets prior to submission to the Quad Cities Coordinator for approval.
• Works cooperatively and collaboratively with the Bookkeeper.
• Ensures Maintenance Supervisor maintain the building and property at acceptable standards of safety and health.
• Networks with other Community Social Service Agencies. Actively engages in the Community to have knowledge of on-going needs, program development, and improvements to current assistance. Develops an effective continuum of care. Attends or assigns staff attendance to inter-agency, community, and State meetings as necessary to achieve objectives.
• Ensures proper use of the Service Point Database by social service staff.
• Works with DHQ Human Resources for relevant human resources administration.
• Analyzes the effectiveness of all programs including ensuring that the programs comply with TSA’s mission. Submits regular reports on these findings to the Quad Cities Coordinator and Corps Officers.
• Develops and/or manages program policies and performance accountability for grants to include United Way outcomes and The Salvation Army’s National Social Service standards. Prepares and gives presentations representing the community needs and The Salvation Army, for funding purposes or as requested.
• Coordinates and supervises assigned seasonal programs. This includes but may not be limited to planning meetings, budget preparation, securing locations for events, ensuring adequate paid and volunteer staffing, and attending trainings as necessary and/or required and other duties as directed by Quad Cities Coordinator.
• Researches and processes applications for available government/foundations grants for The
Salvation Army’s of the Quad Cities ongoing program services. Works with the Development
Director for all program related grant requests/information. Monitors compliance with grants
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
• Working knowledge and application of budgeted funds towards grant specific areas.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field. Masters degree in related field
preferred. Four years’ experience in program management including supervisory
Experience: Must have the ability to Supervise, provide direction, oversight, and
coordination of the Program Services (Emergency Services, Food Services
Emergency Shelter, Transitional Housing, Disaster Services,
Seasonal Assistance). Must be able to pass The Salvation Army back
ground check, must be able to maintain a valid Iowa or Illinois driver
• Principles and practices of social work and case management techniques relevant to the services offered.
• Skills and knowledge of grant writing.
• Federal regulations and state laws applicable to the programs.
• Professional boundaries and ethics for social work, youth and seniors work.
• Public and private social services providers within the community and community resources and programs available to clients with identified needs.
• Collaborative case planning.
• De-escalation and crisis intervention techniques.
• Computer applications related to the work including strong skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, Internet and e-mail.
• Record keeping principles and practices; correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
• Programs and eligibility requirements for the Social Security Administration, State Medicaid and County Social Service and Food Stamps, and other relevant programs.
• The Salvation Army’s Safe From Harm program.
• Analyze, interpret, apply and explain applicable complex laws, codes, regulations and procedures.
• Assess cases appropriately and utilize the most appropriate community resources to provide effective client services.
• Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
• Use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; organize own work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Communicate exceptionally well orally, in writing and over the telephone.
• Work weekends, evenings, or holidays as necessary to accomplish the essential functions.
• Understand and support the philosophy and spiritual goals of The Salvation Army.
• Cooperation with the Corps Officers in the Quad Cities.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment: This Position is required to do light to moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to remain stationary for some periods of time, use hands and fingers, communicate, move, occasionally required to position self to stoop, kneel or crouch, frequently required to reach with and use arms and hands as required in using standard office equipment and a PC. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to focus. The work environment for this position includes an office environment with a low noise level. Individual must be able to lift up to 20 lbs. frequently, occasionally up to 30 lbs.