The Salvation Army Mission: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Job Objective: The Guest Services & Head Cook/Kitchen Director will serve as the primary contact for all groups desiring to hold events at ECC and will provide a clean and hospitable environment so that guests of ECC feel welcomed and cared for before, during, and after their stay. Maintain & organize paperwork for the same. They will prepare all meals, supervise all kitchen and dining hall staff, order food, monitor food preparation and storage by others, enforce proper food-handling procedures, and maintain thorough records for all kitchen/dining hall purchases.
• Represent The Salvation Army by carrying out the mission in all aspects of our services.
• Ensure that lodges, cabins, and houses are properly cleaned and prepared prior to guests’ arrival (Not including laundry)
• Serve as the primary contact person for all outside rental groups once they are booked through the Camp Director and discover and meet their needs prior to and during their retreat.
• Assist Camp Director with collecting all rental fees by providing all needed information for proper invoicing.
• Prepare a “host sheet” with pertinent information for whichever one of the exempt staff will serve as host.
• Serve as the liaison between the outside groups and maintenance to determine and meet set-up needs (tables, chairs, sound, etc.).
• Assist Camp Director with camp office responsibilities including (but not limited to) answering phone calls, checking office answering machine, processing paperwork, and responding to all inquiries as directed.
• Maintain adequate records (both statistically and fiscally) and submit reports as required by The Salvation Army.
• Clean the camp office daily: empty trash, sweep floors, dust counter tops and ledges, mop floors (weekly), and clean windows (weekly).
• Supervise the cleaning of all camp buildings: sweep, mop, clean restrooms, etc. Perform these duties in the absence of the Custodial personnel.
Head Cook/Kitchen Director
• Work closely with the Camp Maintenance Director on maintenance and repair issues regarding the dining hall/kitchen building.
• Supervise the cleaning of the Dining Hall and restrooms. Perform these duties in the absence of custodial personnel.
• Order supplies for the kitchen and serve as primary cook for rental groups requesting full food service. As Head Cook your basic responsibilities will be:
o Preparation of meals according to planned menus.
o Label and date all food and properly store according to food handling requirements
o Ensure that all food served is within expiration guidelines and has not been time- temperature abused
o Maintain a clean, safe and sanitary working area (including during meal prep)
• During the summer months, responsibilities will be almost exclusively the following:
o Supervise all kitchen and dining hall staff enforcing safe food handling procedures and ensuring a nutritious menu is served for each meal following FDA guidelines.
o Head Cook for all meals.
• Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with guest, co-workers, and supervisors. This includes, but is not limited to, such actions as: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, visitors and guest; respect of other’s property and person; and professional and appropriate communication to and about guest, co-workers and supervisors.
• Other duties as appropriate and assigned for this position.
• Must have a clear understanding of the ministry and vision of Eagle Crest Camp.
• Must complete and stay current with The Salvation Army’s Safe From Harm training.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Minimum: High School Diploma or equivalent; Preferred: College Degree in Hospitality and Culinary Services
• Illinois Food Handling Certification.
• Valid Driver’s License with clearance to drive from The Salvation Army’s insurance carrier.
• Experience in managing and motivating others.
• Experience in hospitality (cleaning, guest services, customer service, etc.)
• Experience as the head or lead cook for a restaurant, institution, or equivalent OR can demonstrate excellence in the cooking of quality food for a large number of people of all ages and types from simple kid menus to complex, cook-from-scratch, sophisticated, adult, fine dining.
• Experience in office management and/or financial accounting preferred
Physical Demands/ Work Environment: This Position is required to do light to moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to remain stationary for some periods of time, use hands and fingers, communicate, move, occasionally required to position self to stoop, kneel or crouch, frequently required to reach with and use arms and hands as required in using standard office equipment and a PC. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to focus. The work environment for this position includes an office environment with a low noise level.