The Salvation Army thrift store located in Warrensburg, Missouri, is looking for a part-time, 19 hours per week, Thrift Store Worker. The ideal candidate will be available to work year-round including holidays. Starting pay is $9.50 an hour.
This position is expected to perform all functions of a thrift store worker. This includes but is no limited to: Working with customers; lifting and carrying donated/ purchased items; clothes sorting operations; stocking, pricing and placing items for sale; making change for purchased items; etc. The majority of the work done in the position will be of the physical labor type. Basic communication and math skills are required.
1. Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with customers, donors, co-workers and supervisors. This includes but is not limited to such actions as: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, visitors and customers; respect of other’s property and person; and professional an appropriate communication to and about customers, donors, co-workers and supervisors.
2. Sort, price, and merchandise donated items.
3. Assist in loading and unloading the store’s truck, customer’s vehicles, and/or donors’ vehicles.
4. Routinely lift items that weigh 30 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
5. This position may be assigned to operate a cash register to ring up sales and to make proper change. The position may be expected to participate or conduct the counting out and reconciling of the cash drawer at the end of a shift or day. The position may be responsible for taking the deposit to the bank.
6. Maintain confidentiality, proper client boundaries and comply with Safe From Harm guidelines.
7. This position is expected to wash windows, dust, clean bathroom, vacuum and mop floors, carry out trash and other janitorial duties as necessary. At the end of each work day the sorting room, dock and work area will be cleaned and swept. Each employee may be assigned to clean the break area. It should also be understood that it is the job of all store workers to help keep the showroom clean and neat.
Full Job Description will be provided upon request and/or interview.
Must be a team player, a self-starter, and perform well with minimum supervision. High school/equivalent diploma and one year related work experience or two years work experience without diploma. Position requires basic communications with customers and other employees. Ability to comprehend written job description, cleaning instructions and material safety data sheet. Position may require the ability to operate a cash register, be bondable and to make correct change for items sold. Must be capable of performing essential duties.
To apply for this position please visit our store located at 123 N. Holden St. Warrensburg, MO 64093 Monday - Saturday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and ask for the manager on duty.
Physical and Work Environment Requirements: Continuously lifts 5 pounds, frequently lifts 25 pounds, occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds and frequently moves 50 pounds or more using dolly/cart/truck. Standing, twisting, bending, squatting and stretching are frequently done throughout each day. Most of the work will be done on the sales floor or in the warehouse area. Some of the work required of this position will be performed outdoors. It will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Background Check: Position requires background checks to be accomplished. Findings could disqualify an individual from employment in this position.
The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its Ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Realizing The Salvation Army is a member of the Christian church, employees are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and project a positive image consistent with the above mission statement. This includes appearance as well as verbal communications and other behaviors. It should be clearly understood that nothing less will be accepted.
The Salvation Army Central Territory does not participate in unemployment compensation programs. The Salvation Army, as a church, is exempt from participation in federal and state unemployment insurance programs.