The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Job Summary: As the Supportive Housing Assistant, the individual in this position is often the first point of contact for consumers of services and the community in general. As such, the Supportive Housing Assistant roles is responsible for answering the telephone and providing assistance to people in a warm and professional manner, as well as perform clerical duties for the Emergency Case Managers. The Supportive Housing Assistant role is responsible for the supervision and management of overall records and services offered to families through the Galesburg Corps. This position functions in accord with The Salvation Army Social Services Codes & Ethics.
• Provide clerical support.
• Assist with receiving visitors.
• Answer the telephone and direct calls to appropriate staff/departments
• Check the voicemail, distributing messages or returning calls as needed.
• Provide a degree of dignity and respect for the clients
• Organize and maintain all client information in confidence
• Set up SFH training for volunteers who need it
• Maintain files and records
• Assist with case notes
• Assist in scanning and copying sensitive material
• Assist in filing confidential material
• Gathering data from clients and databases
• Screen potential program participants
• Report to Emergency Case Managers and Corps Officers
• Keep current with rules and procedures of program.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• assist in providing emergency materials to a vulnerable population
• Assist with a food and diaper pantry
• Work independently
• and other duties assigned
Education: An Associate’s degree in social work from an accredited college or university or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Experience: Two years related experience, including knowledge of and/or experience working collaboratively with social service providers, public and private human service agencies, and health specialists. Knowledge of and/or experience in community outreach, human services and community improvement. Ability to collaborate on complex social issues within families and communities. Must have an interest and ability to work with people and clients of diverse racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds in a sensitive and culturally appropriate manner. Capacity to teach adults and families. Demonstrated knowledge of state and local social service resources. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience or capacity to demonstrate positive interpersonal skills and work as a cooperative team member. Demonstrated awareness of budget resources and cost control, as well as planning and administering social service budgets. Ability to help establish policies and procedures. Proficiency in computer software applications, including demonstrated experience in using email, MS Office applications and using the internet for conducting research and locating resources. Must be able to pass background check and yearly motor vehicle check. Must have valid driver’s license. Must keep current on Salvation Army Safe From Harm training and certification
Physical Demands/ Work Environment:
This Position is required to do basic business and office work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to talk and listen, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel. Individual must be able to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear. Individual must also be able to lift up to fifty pounds. The use of Office and Computer Equipment is necessary. Vision abilities will require close vision. Work may be performed indoors and occasionally require outdoors to attend meetings or see employee’s. There is low to moderate noise level for this position.