The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
FUNCTION OF POSITION:
Assist customers in the sales area ringing sales through the cash register. Keep the sales area neat and orderly and stock or straighten displays as necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES:
• Greet customers and donors promptly and courteously
• Ring sales through the cash register
• Safeguard cash at all times
• Wrap and bag customer purchases
• Answer incoming phone calls as needed
• Schedule pick up time and locations for Thrift Store truck driver
• Stock displays with pre-priced merchandise from the sorting areas
• Review current stock and re-price older merchandise as directed
• Assist in keeping sales area stocked, clean and orderly
• Assist in moving and maintaining Thrift Store displays
• Price items according to pricing structure
• Maintain good staff, customer and public relations, working with individuals, groups and organizations to cultivate donations and volunteer help
• Attend mandatory staff meetings
• Attend all training for Safe From Harm compliance
• Support the mission statement of The Salvation Army
• Other duties as assigned by the Store Manager and/or Corps Officer
QUALIFICATIONS: The individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and/or Experience
High school graduate or equivalent (based on position)
Read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; write routine reports; effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and employees.
Understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; deal with problems involving several variables in changing situations.
Add, subtract, multiply, divide, and figure percentages in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Operate a cash register, telephone system, alarm system, copier, safe, fax, computer (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Lotus Notes, Internet).
The successful applicant will demonstrate an understanding of The Salvation Army and a willingness to support its mission; an ability to work well with people, handle difficult situations, handle multiple tasks at one time; excellent communication skills, including an ability to be diplomatic in receiving donations from community members; demonstrate integrity in the use and protection of donations, confidentiality and staff relations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must posses a Valid Michigan Driver's License, and be able to pass the Chauffeur's driving test, and be cleared through The Salvation Army to drive a S.A. vehicle.
Must pass a state and federal background check and be trained in local Salvation Army Safe from Harm policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to handle or feel; hear well; talk. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment for this position is a store setting with limited temperature control. The noise level is moderate. Dust, mold and mildew are common.