The Salvation Army Thrift Store in Centralia, Illinois, is looking for a part-time, 25 hours per week, Truck Driver to pick up donations. This position comes with benefits such as paid holidays, sick time, vacation time, and is eligible for participation in the company provided pension plan. Starting pay is $8.25 an hour.
1. Drive or ride along in truck to pick up merchandise.
2. Assist in loading and unloading the stores truck, customers’ vehicles, and/or donors’ vehicles.
3. When driving, conduct daily pre-trip inspections of the vehicle, maintain the interior and exterior of the truck, both cab and box, in a clean and safe condition, monitor and schedule routine maintenance to include DOT inspections and alert the supervisor of needed repairs or safety concerns. Operate the vehicle in safe manner and in compliance with The Salvation Army Fleet Operation Manual.
4. Evaluate all donated merchandise for its possible use and determine whether to accept or reject the donation. Politely refuse unacceptable items.
5. Issue receipts for donated items per store policy.
Full Job Description will be provided upon request and/or interview.
High school/equivalent diploma and one year related work experience or two years work experience without diploma. Position requires basic communications with customers and other employees. Ability to comprehend written job description, city map, cleaning instructions, safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and material safety data sheet. Experience in the area of customer relations and warehouse experience helpful. Previous store worker experience is a plus. Appropriate state drivers’ license is required (Class C for the truck) and must pass TSA MVR check. Forklift operator certification must be obtained before operating the forklift. It is required that anyone operating the forklift be properly trained and have the appropriate license. Must be a team player, a self-starter, and perform well with minimum supervision.
Physical and Work Environment Requirements: Must be capable of performing the above essential duties. Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time. Capable of frequently lifting 70 pounds, and occasionally lifting more than 100 pounds. Frequently lifts or moves 100 pounds or more with assistance of another person/forklift/floor jack/dolly/cart or truck. Majority of lifting is from floor to waist high. Some lifting required above waist and shoulder high but it will be at a reduced weight. Position is expected to: Bend, stoop, crouch, stand, walk, carry and push/pull items. Most of this work will be outside. In the winter it will be cold and in the summer it will be hot.
The Salvation Army Central Territory does not participate in unemployment compensation programs. The Salvation Army, as a church, is exempt from participation in federal and state unemployment insurance programs.