The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination
Purpose: The Receptionist is the first contact point for those calling into or visiting The Salvation Army of Ottawa. As such, this employee forms a first impression of our organization. In this position, the receptionist is to welcome visitors and callers with a warm personality, must be able to give and explain clear information and to take clear and complete telephone messages in a professional, warm and efficient manner. To be able to write legibly. In addition, this position may perform various clerical duties as assigned.
They must be comfortable working with various kinds of people. Must have integrity and maintain confidentiality, ability to relate well with people. Must be able to work independently and have a positive attitude. Individual must be willing to become familiar and supportive of The Salvation Army mission and purpose of operation. Must pass a background check. Must be able to work with community members in a professional and engaging manner.
• Provide support to the Corps Officers and the Social Service Department.
• Phone calls: answer by giving company name, screen calls for specific questions, be able to place on hold and transfer to proper department, use the intercom system when needed, give clear information as to Social Service dates, hours and services and give referrals when appropriate. Log pertinent information, take and distribute clear/full messages, record messages from answering machine.
• Receptionist Window - Answer or seek answers for walk-in questions, Give referrals when appropriate, assist guests with their needs. If proper, distribute intake forms upon Case Workers request, request staff assistance as needed.
• File and Maintain forms and files in a manner that ensures confidentiality
• Assist with the Food Pantry intake when the Case Worker is not in Office.
• Receive and Log daily, Gift in Kind donations and put out items for individuals to take.
• Food Pantry duties include but not limited to receiving donations, sorting/stocking shelves, putting together and distributing food orders after completing intake forms.
• Be able to use all office equipment and ensure proper function and maintenance needs are reported (fax machine, copier, etc.).
• Care of office appearance, equipment, and supplies.
• Monitor Front Lobby for activity and if needed straighten/clean up.
• Call Advisory Board Committee and Corps Council members on the Friday before any scheduled committee meeting.
• Receive and sign for (if needed) mail and deliveries.
• Accept donations. Ask for name and address. Give receipts as requested.
• Data entry, statistics as necessary
• Provide support and assist with volunteers
• Make copies and compile printed material as needed.
• Provide supportive assistance to other ministries and responsibilities assigned by supervisor
• All other duties as assigned
Education: High school diploma or equivalent plus one-year experience or higher education in related
Certifications: The Salvation Army’s “Safe from Harm” Training (provided)
Experience: Clerical: knowledge of all standard office procedures and equipment, ability to research and route call/visitors to proper departments. Proficient with Microsoft operating system and with MS Office suite. Familiar with use of software similar to IBM Notes Social Edition for email, calendar and databases. Familiar with using computer based management systems. The ability to limit private conversations while staying positive in conversations with others.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment: This Position is required to do basic business and office work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to talk clearly and listen intently, to stand, walk, sit, and use hands and fingers. Individual must be able to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Individual must also be able to lift up to fifty pounds. The use of Office and Computer Equipment may be necessary. Vision abilities will require close vision. There is low to moderate noise level for this position.