Coordinate The Salvation Army’s prison and jail ministry in the Kansas and Western Missouri Division.
*This position is part-time, 25 hours per week.*
• Develop correctional programming with Salvation Army corps units
• Develop correctional programming with DOC, JJA, and BOP
• Execute ongoing programming with JCFC
• Plan and execute New Beginnings Re-Entry Program
• Facility Bible Correspondence Course through THQ
• Prepare and teach weekly Bible studies and Sunday morning chapel services
• Organize evangelistic and outreach services
• One-on-One inmate counseling
• Recruit and train volunteers
• Follow-up on inmate release and assist in transition
• Minister to families of the incarcerated connecting them with Pathway of Hope program
• Help to secure funding for programs
• BA Degree or equivalent work experience
EXPERIENCE / BACKGROUND:
• A minimum of five years of criminal justice experience that would indicate an aptitude to deal with inmates in a religious situation.
• Experience in leading groups and Bible studies.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Working in or with a nonprofit organization and its volunteers is helpful. Must have experience in supervision or management of personnel.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment and have computer skills.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to pass The Salvation Army Vehicle Registry check
• Supports and promotes the mission and beliefs of The Salvation Army.
• An approach to people that comes across as honest and straightforward
• Organizational skills
• Must be a team player and self-starter
• Able to handle several projects at the same time and perform well with minimum supervision.
• Must demonstrate ability to think independently and exercise good judgment.
• Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively in a positive way in order to maintain positive, productive relationships
• Capable of performing in an office environment to include: using a computer, answering phones, emails, etc.
• Superior communication skills. An ability to “sell” people on the virtues of being volunteers