The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
• Greet donors promptly and courteously
• Assess and receive donated goods, assisting donor in moving the goods, or move them for the donor
• Assess and move donated goods to sorting areas, sales areas, or recycling areas as needed
• Assign prices to items as required, following given pricing guide
• Move stock to and from seasonal storage area (downstairs)
• Retrieve storage boxes from upper storage area
• Move wooden pallets as necessary
• Assemble and place “gaylord boxes” onto pallets
• Place recycled items into appropriate boxes/bins/bailer
• Assist Maintenance worker with mopping floors, sweeping (inside or out), trash basket changing and normal store cleaning or in his/her absence.
• Shovel snow, operate snow-blower or power mower
• Assist in bailing of items to be recycled.
• As needed, go along with truck driver for assisting in donation pick ups.
• Keeping receiving and sorting area clean and orderly.
• Sort donated items.
• Put appropriate clothing onto hangers, wrap or hang linens; process unusable items for recycling.
• As needed, price items for sale according to pricing guide.
• Keep sorting area clean and orderly.
• Assist with moving and maintaining Thrift Store displays.
• Provide back-up driving when needed
• Maintain good staff, customer and public relations, working with individuals, groups and organizations to cultivate donations and volunteer help.
• Attend mandatory staff meetings.
• Attend all training for Safe From Harm compliance.
• Support the mission statement of The Salvation Army.
• Other duties as assigned by the Store Manager and/or Corps Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS: The individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and/or Experience
High school graduate or equivalent (based on position), experience in personnel management required, retail sales management preferred.
Read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; write routine reports; effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and employees.
Understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; deal with problems involving several variables in changing situations.
The successful applicant will demonstrate an understanding of The Salvation Army and a willingness to support its mission; an ability to work well with people, handle difficult situations, handle multiple tasks at one time; excellent communication skills, including an ability to be diplomatic in receiving donations from community members; demonstrate integrity in the use and protection of donations, confidentiality and staff relations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must posses a Valid Michigan Driver's License, and be able to pass the Chauffeur's driving test, and be cleared through The Salvation Army to drive a S.A. vehicle.
Must pass a state and federal background check and be trained in local Salvation Army Safe from Harm policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to handle or feel; hear well; talk. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. This job involves heavy manual labor and handling bulky/unwieldy items on a daily basis.
Must be physically able to:
•lift and carry up to 50 pounds at waist height to a maximum of 50 feet;
•lift up to 25 pounds overhead;
•stoop, bend and turn at the waist while lifting and/or moving items up to 25 pounds from car trunks, pickup truck beds, SUV storage areas, car back seats, etc.;
• lift and deposit clothing items up to 10 pounds into a bailer (height is approximately 53”);
• carry bulky items weighing up to 25 pounds up or down an 18 step flight of stairs;
• work indoor or outdoor in heat and cold;
• work in a dusty environment, with musty or other odors;
• shovel heavy snow;
• climb an 8 ft. stepladder;
• safely load, unload and move shopping carts, hand trucks, flat-bed dollys, etc..
The work environment for this position is a store setting with limited temperature control. The noise level is moderate. Dust, mold and mildew are common