The SMART Kids Aide is responsible to provide support (Support and Mentoring through Arts, Recreation, and Tutoring) and supervision in the day to day operations of the program based on the needs and interests of the children experiencing homelessness and their parents. The candidate will provide programming in a well structured environment at all times. Responsibilities will also include working with other Program Staff and Coordinator in the design, development and implementation of program activity areas. Candidate is expected to be on feet for prolonged period of time with occasional running and playing games outdoors.
This is regular part-time position with a workweek expectation of 10 – 15 hours per week (hours open to expand in summer months).
• Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters and maintains positive relationships with co-workers and supervisors. This would include but not be limited to such actions: resolution of conflicts in a positive manner; courteous treatment of staff, clients and visitors; respect of others’ property and person, professional and appropriate communication to and about co-workers, supervisors and subordinates. Support the Mission of The Salvation Army by treating every donor, contact and colleague with respect and dignity, and without discrimination of any kind.
• Uphold the procedures and policies for operations of the SMART Kids program.
• Provide positive mentorship and leadership to the children in all activities.
• Assist with the attendance records and stats for SMART kids program.
• Communicate with children, parents and guardians on daily activities.
• Communicate with parents of program cancellation or upcoming news and events
• Coordinate planning and implementation of activities with SMART Kids staff.
• Assist with behavior issues, resolutions, consequences; communicate with staff and parents regarding such issues.
• At times may need to be a driver.
• Supervise children in SMART Kids Program during program hours.
• Aid with homework and other educational areas based on children’s needs.
• Maintain program area set up, take down and clean up.
• Maintain security of children during work hours including Check in / Check out.
• Find opportunities to share Christ with children enrolled in program.
• Keep work area orderly.
• Demonstrate a reasonable effort to maintain and improve adequate job knowledge and skill level.
• Attend training events.
• Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED or two years’ experience working in a child care or afterschool program setting. Ability to work and relate with young children. Ability to work independently using initiative in planning and assisting with program as led by the SMART Kids Program Coordinator. Ability to communicate openly, maintaining professional manner towards the children, the families, and other staff at all times. Self-motivated, trustworthy, vibrant, creative, and able to maintain confidentiality. Must be able to lift 50 pounds occasionally. Must be able to pass The Salvation Army background checks, have a valid MN drivers' license and meet the MVR driver qualifications. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.