The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
• Responsible for picking up and delivering donated and purchased goods on scheduled days. The driver’s responsibilities include loading and unloading the items.
• The driver also is responsible for scheduled pickups of Estate Sale items as needed and other times as designated.
• During the Christmas season, the driver will be responsible for kettle pick-ups and deliveries as directed.
• Plans daily routing based on pick-ups assigned.
• Assist in loading and unloading customers’ vehicles, and/or donors’ vehicles.
• Insure that all calls are made as scheduled and that care is taken to insure the security and safe handling of goods and materials,
• Instructs and supervises community service worker, keeping in mind that helper is in a rehabilitation program and good personal and work habits are taught by example as well as instruction.
• When driving, conduct daily pre-trip inspections of the vehicle, maintain the interior and exterior of the truck, both cab and box, in a clean and safe condition, monitoring and scheduling routine maintenance and alerting the supervisor of needed repairs or safety concern.
• Responsible for the safety and security of the truck and equipment (including securing of hand truck at end of day). Daily inspections of air, water, oil, etc. to maintain equipment in good operating equipment
• Responsible to promptly report to immediate supervisor all accidents involving truck, personal injury or property damage.
• Act as personal representative of The Salvation Army and insure that all customers are treated courteously. Immediately report any problem in pick-ups to immediate supervisor.
• Evaluate all donated merchandise for its possible use and determine whether to accept or reject the donation. Politely refuse unacceptable items.
• Issue receipts for donated items as per store policy.
• Wear provided back guard when doing any substantial lifting or moving.
• Responsible for loading and unloading of truck and to help with other trucks as requested.
• Pick up donations from drop boxes; assure area around drop boxes are clean
• Schedule DOT inspections.
• Maintain mileage log books.
OTHER DUTIES REQUIRED WHEN NOT DRIVING:
• When riding, perform spotter function outside the truck each and every time the truck is backed up.
• After training, perform clothes baling operations in a safe manner (operate baler, move/stack bales which weigh up to 250 pounds).
• Sort donated items, using the quick sort system.
• Ensure that all merchandise is priced according to pricing policy and that all color coded tags are correct for month and dated accordingly.
• Ensure the processing room and work areas are cleaned-up each day.
• Place clothing and items on display in the appropriate sales area as needed
• Throw away all stained, torn, and damaged goods
• Clothing that is stained, torn, and outdated and yet contains 90% cotton and above is to be bundled up for rags
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: Position requires basic communications with customers and other employees; Ability to prepare brief written reports /delivery lists,logs and schedules, Ability to comprehend written job description, city map, cleaning instructions, safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and material safety data sheet. Ability to apply common sense understanding furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardization situations. Must have reasonable reasoning skills. Experience in the area of customer relations and warehouse experience helpful. Previous store worker experience is a plus. Appropriate state drivers’ license is required (Class C or CDL for the truck), DOT medical card required and must pass TSA MVR check. Must be a team player, a self-starter, and perform well with minimum supervision. Also, individual must be willing to become familiar with and support the mission of The Salvation Army; must be able to pass background check.
Physical Demands/Work Environment: This Position is required to do moderate to heavy physical work. Must be capable of performing the above essential duties. Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time. Capable of frequently lifting 70 pounds, and occasionally lifting more than 100 pounds. Frequently lifts or moves 100 pounds or more with assistance of another person/forklift/floor jack/dolly/cart or truck. Majority of lifting is from floor to waist high. Some lifting required above waist and shoulder high but it will be at a reduced weight. Position is expected to: Bend, stoop, crouch, stand, walk, carry and push/pull items. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.