This position is expected to perform all functions of a thrift store worker. This includes but is not limited to: Working with customers; lifting and carrying donated/ purchased items; clothes sorting operations; stocking, pricing and placing items for sale; making change for purchased items; etc. The majority of the work done in the position will be of the physical labor type. Basic communication and math skills are required.
1. Stock racks, shelves, counters or tables with merchandise.
2. Price unmarked items of merchandise.
3. Cleans shelves, counters or tables.
4. Operates cash register, accepting payment and making change. Wraps or bags merchandise for customers.
5. Follows through on outdating as instructed.
6. Helps set up displays and arranges merchandise to promote sales.
7. Responsible to maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with customers, donors, co-workers and supervisors.
8. Routinely lift items that weigh 30 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds. Use back guard provided when doing any substantial lifting or moving.
9. Support the mission statement of The Salvation Army
OTHER DUTIES: Other duties as assigned by supervisor or administrator.
Must be a team player, a self-starter, and perform well with minimum supervision. High school/equivalent diploma and one year related work experience or two years work experience without diploma. Position requires basic communications with customers and other employees. Ability to comprehend written job description, cleaning instructions and material safety data sheet. Position may require the ability to operate a cash register, be bondable and to make correct change for items sold. Must be capable of performing essential duties.
The Salvation Army Central Territory does not participate in unemployment compensation programs. The Salvation Army, as a church, is exempt from participation in federal and state unemployment insurance programs.