Within store guidelines, prepares items for sale and assists customers with their purchases.
• Operate cash register, total customer purchases, receive payment and give change. Keep accurate financial records reporting discrepancies to store manager.
• Receives and selects merchandise to be displayed for sale from donated items.
• Places items for sale.
• May price items within prescribed pricing guidelines.
• Maintains merchandise displays in neat and orderly appearance. Transfers stock to maintain fresh marketing appeal.
• Answers questions and assists store customers.
• May keep record of sales and inventory.
• Assist in maintaining overall appearance, cleanliness and safe conditions in the store area. Report property maintenance needs or property safety concerns to management.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Ability to read and understand basic written material and sufficient figure aptitude to handle basic cash transactions.
EXPERIENCE / BACKGROUND:
• Prior sales experience or working with people in service capacity preferred.
• Life experience (academic, prior work history, volunteer, etc) will be considered in determining job suitedness.
• Must be a team player, a self-starter, and perform well with minimum supervision.
• Position requires basic communications with customers and other employees.
• Ability to comprehend written job description, cleaning instructions and material safety data sheet.
• Position may require the ability to operate a cash register, be bondable and to make correct change for items sold. Must be capable of performing essential duties.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Demonstrate professionalism and ability to represent The Salvation Army.
• People/public relations skills able to handle confrontation with positive effect.
• Knowledge of basic office equipment and use of computer.