Employee is responsible for assisting in managing the thrift store in Albert Lea, MN. This is a full time regular position with a workweek expectation of 40 hours per week. This position directly supervises store workers and volunteers and carries out supervisory responsibilities in the absence of the site manager in accordance with Salvation Army policies and applicable laws.
• Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with staff, volunteers, supervisors, and customers. This includes, but is not limited to, such actions as: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, volunteers, visitors and clients; respect of others’ property and person; and professional and appropriate communication to and about clients, co-workers and supervisors. Interaction in these relationships should always be respectful and professional.
• Count and verify all daily receipts, endorse checks and prepare bank deposits for the thrift store and complete financial spreadsheets.
• Perform cashier duties as needed.
• Receive and direct incoming phone calls.
• Provide guidance and assistance to customers in a pleasant and professional manner. Investigate customer’s problems/complaints and respond in a professional manner following established policies and procedures.
• Assist as needed in recruiting, training, and supervising all personnel, volunteers, and other workers assigned to this site to ensure compliance with directives and guidelines. Assist manager in the scheduling of volunteers and compilation of volunteer hours.
• Oversee and participate, as needed, in the sorting, tagging, pricing and delivering of donated items to the sales floor.
• Oversee all departments and ensure that an adequate inventory is maintained on the sales floor.
• Oversee and participate in the storage of donated items and in the accumulation of overstocked donations.
• Ensure an attractive sales floor.
• Maintain a high level of cleanliness and orderliness throughout the store.
• Facilitate team meetings, and attend workshops, thrift store managers meetings, staff training and other training activities as assigned. Keep personnel informed of new policies and directives.
• Complete other tasks as assigned by the manager for the effective and efficient operation of the thrift store.
High school diploma or GED and one year supervisory and retail management experience. Employee must be able to accept supervision and to work independently or with a team of co-workers and be computer literate. Must have good written and verbal communication skills with customers, volunteers, staff, supervisors and other community members. Must be willing to support the philosophy, goals, mission, and objectives of The Salvation Army, possess a valid MN Drivers License, have a good driving record and meet the drivers MVR qualifications, and pass the background check. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.