The Salvation Army, and international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Purpose: Ensure the upkeep and presentation of the corps property and monitor that the property is safe to utilize.
Summary: By personal effort and overseeing some community service volunteers, maintain the cleanliness and safety of the corps building and outdoor properties.
- Promote the mission of The Salvation Army
- General cleaning of entire property (inside and outside) which includes vacuuming, mopping, dusting, cleaning of walls and windows, stripping and waxing floors, restroom cleaning, removing trash, keeping inventory of janitorial supplies. Refer to provided daily “chore” chart.
- Set up and tear down of rooms for all corps and community center sponsored programs and activities.
- Administer building repairs as able and oversee that outside vendors complete quality work.
- Oversee lawn maintenance and snow removal for both corps property and residence next door.
- Oversee Community Service Volunteers that are assigned to janitorial and maintenance work.
- Oversee cleaning of grease trap and kitchen appliances
- Oversee the safety of the building including ensuring adequate lighting and removing obstructions or trip hazards.
- Coordinate with officials who are on site to administer license inspections.
- Assist with Christmas activities including bellringing and Angel Tree.
- Oversee that corps vehicles are in safe and operable condition.
- Travel offsite to purchase supplies necessary to fulfill duties. A corps vehicle is available for business travel.
- CHRISTMAS – extra hours available to help deliver and pick up kettles and bellringers during Christmas season.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Experience in janitorial work preferred.
- Knowledge of operating cleaning equipment, strip and wax floors, remove stains from carpet, clean and disinfect restrooms, etc.
- Knowledge of minor repairs (painting, simple plumbing repairs, etc.). Knowledge of larger repairs is a plus.
- Ability to operate and maintain lawn equipment (i.e. tractor, snowblower, etc.).
Education/Experience: Knowledge of general cleaning processes.
Computer Skills: Minimal skills required. Clocking in and out is done on computer.
Reasoning Ability: Capacity to determine cleaning schedules in coordination with activities.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Complete and remain up to date with Safe from Harm trainings. Work with Volunteer & Program Ministries Coordinator to ensure that SFH guidelines are followed.
- Must be able to qualify as an approved driver with a chauffeur’s license.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- General physical mobility
- Assist with deliveries of food, toys, etc. and assist with loading and unloading of vehicles on a regular basis
- Lift up to 50lbs on a regular (multiple times per week) basis
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Environment varies and at times will be isolated and at other times chaotic in activity.
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors
In addition: Must be highly organized, able to work independently and also provide good communication to volunteers.