The Lifeguard is to provide leadership and professional knowledge in the waterfront department at camp, while assisting the Head Lifeguard. They are specifically tasked with supervising the safety of all waterfront users. This is a summer time position without benefits. The duration of this position is determined by the summer camp programs.
This job description is not all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential duties of the position. Other duties, responsibilities and tasks may be assigned by the Divisional Youth Secretary or the Head Lifeguard.
• Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with co-workers and supervisors. This would include but not be limited to such actions: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, visitors and clients; respect of others’ property and person, professional and appropriate communication to and about co-workers, supervisors, and subordinates.
• Support the Mission of The Salvation Army by treating every client, donor, and colleague with respect and dignity, and without discrimination of any kind.
• Engage all community members (including and not limited to, campers, volunteers, visitors, families, etc.) in a way that brings them to the Corps for programming, events, activities, and Pathway of Hope.
• Attend staff orientation week.
• Assist in the supervision of all waterfront activities, which includes but is not limited to the following:
o Monitor the pool when in use.
o Provide instruction in swimming, diving, boating, and water safety.
o Assist in planning water carnivals and inclement weather classes.
o Assist the Head Lifeguard in testing the pool and monitor both physical and mechanical equipment.
o Maintain daily cleanliness/repair of the pool, pool building, and pool equipment with the supervision of the Camp Director and the Head Lifeguard.
• Be present with and give guidance to campers while on duty.
• Assist with opening and closing day procedures for each camp session.
• Carry out established rules enforcing camp safety regulations.
• Carry a first aid kit at all times and ensure that it is properly stocked.
• Carry out established COVID-19 plans and procedures.
• See that the Camp Healthcare Manager cares for the health needs of each camper.
• Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment, and facilities.
• Chaperone campers around camp always thinking of safety and guidance.
• Assist in camper classes and encourage participation.
• Support and be involved in camper chapels, staff devotions, and staff meetings.
• Foster a positive team dynamic and cooperation.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Minimum age 16 preferred.
• Minimum education of high school diploma or GED preferred.
• Current Lifeguard Certification
• Experience working as a lifeguard preferred.
• Knowledge of pool operation and chemical testing preferred.
• Experience working with children preferred.
• Experience working in a summer camp setting preferred.
• Must be an individual of the Christian faith who has a strong personal relationship with the Lord, attends church on a regular basis, and a desire to lead others spiritually.
• Must live on camp grounds throughout duration of employment.
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Current CPR and First Aid Certifications. (CPR/First Aid will be offered during orientation.)
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
• An attention to detail.
• A positive attitude and flexibility in light of changing job situations/priorities.
• Must support the philosophy, goals, and objectives of The Salvation Army Northwoods Camp.
• A willingness to support and uphold the mission of The Salvation Army and a passion for working with youth.
• Must pass Salvation Army background checks.
• It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed during orientation.