The Salvation Army Mission:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Job Objective: Supports the Shelter Manager in oversight and coordination of all clients, intake staff, volunteers and activities of the Emergency Shelter of the La Crosse Corps during designated shift. Work in collaboration with other La Crosse Corps staff members and departments.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of the position. Other job related responsibilities and tasks may be assigned. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
• Manages, coordinates and oversees all shelter operations, taking appropriate action to facilitate efficient operation involving program participants, staff, property and supportive services
• Assists with recording and maintaining daily statistical records of all shelter services on the weekdays
• Monitors and records, or oversees, non-food donations to the shelter each day
• Attends department staff meetings, community meetings, and other meetings as assigned by the Director of Social Services
• Adjusts intake/shelter workers schedules on weekdays as needed; provides shift coverage during employee absences
• Follows The Salvation Army’s guidelines for Safe From Harm
• Supervises volunteers within the shelter program
• Meets with the Shelter Manager weekly to review shelter operations
• Enters appropriate client records and monitors the accuracy of information in Service Point
• Trains and assists staff and volunteers regarding policies, procedures and record keeping
• Evaluates new employees during employment orientation period, and reviews those with the Shelter Manager
The requirements listed below are representative of the minimal education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent; Associates degree preferred
Certifications: Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License with clearance to drive from The Salvation Army’s insurance carrier
• Two years’ experience in Human Services desired, with one year of experience working with the homeless population.
• Management experience preferred
• Excellent customer service approach
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks. Able to function within a fast-paced environment and deal effectively with crisis situations
• De-escalation and crisis intervention techniques
• Computer applications related to the work including strong skills in Microsoft Word, Internet and E-mail
• Record keeping principles and practices; correct business English, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
• Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone
• The Salvation Army’s Safe from Harm program
• Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials
• Use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; organize own work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with officers and staff
• Communicate effectively; orally, in writing and over the telephone
• Operate within established procedural guidelines
• Communicate effectively: orally, in writing and over the telephone
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises Shelter Advocates
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting, pulling and pushing of materials up to 35 pounds. Requires bending, squatting and walking, climbing stairs, talking, hearing, vision, use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls, reach with hands and arms. May stand for extended periods of time
Travel: Rare. Some travel will within the greater La Crosse area may occur for meetings or training.
Working Conditions: Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a typical indoor/office environment. The noise level will generally be low to moderate. At times, the duties will involve working with individuals having infectious and/or communicable diseases.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.