Responsible for the management, operation, and maintenance of the Thrift Store.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Responsible for assisting with interviewing, selection, hiring, training, counseling, development and disciplinary actions of store staff.
• Scheduling of store clerks to ensure coverage in store at all times scheduled to be open within budget limitations.
• Submit payroll information bi-weekly for all store personnel.
• Plan, organize, schedule and implement store organization and operating plan. Responsible for store inventory, pricing, and marking of merchandise/areas.
• Attend monthly management meetings and then keep staff informed of new policies and directives.
• Responsible for developing and supervising volunteer and community service staff.
• Responsible for developing community relationships that will further a donor base and a customer base.
• Responsible for developing a store marketing and merchandising plan that has customer appeal and price competitiveness.
• Creates sales incentives through sales and other promotions.
• Provides safeguards and policies to ensure against loss of receivables and donor items.
• Maintain accurate inventory of goods on hand.
• Bank cash receipts at end of business day. Safeguard cash at all times.
• Maintain records of store income/expenses and provides reports to Corps Officer on operating results weekly.
• Inspect entire store regularly, including cash register check and reconciliation of cash on hand. Submit report to Corps officer monthly.
• Responsible for maintaining the facility in a clean, neat and safe condition. Order janitorial supplies through Corps office.
• Report any repairs or maintenance needs promptly to the Corps Officer.
• Develop and maintain professional customer relations, as is expected by all staff.
• Work with donors to resolve problems/issues.
Attends and gives reports to corps council and advisory board upon request. Other duties as assigned by Corps Officer.
Directly supervises all store staff, community service workers and volunteers. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with The Salvation Army policies and applicable laws.
• High school graduate or equivalent, with a minimum of an associate’s degree preferred. Courses in accounting and/or accounting experience helpful.
EXPERIENCE / BACKGROUND
• Two years retail sales management experience preferred.
• Prior supervisory experience preferred.
• Working knowledge of retail store procedures concerning loss, inventory, cash management and sales projections.
• Supports the Mission Statement of The Salvation Army:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
• Ability and willingness to work extended and irregular hours when needed.
• Ability to meet and maintain The Salvation Army driver qualification.
• Ability to meet physical requirements of the position: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and hear or talk. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Bi-lingual English/Spanish, desirable.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and employees.
• Ability to add, subtracts, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to operate a cash register.
• Knowledge of basic office equipment and use of computer. Word, Excel, and Publisher skill needed.
• Basic accounting/bookkeeping skill