SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
I. Assisting Lead Staff in Youth Activities
A. Helping plan 8 weeks of activities according to program parameters and objectives
B. Coordinating with lead staff in implementing discipline structure and incentives
C. Helping prepare materials, activities, and class areas as assigned
D. Assist lead staff with Objectives and Outcome records, including children’s surveys
E. Helping with setup and cleanup as assigned
F. End of summer clean-up and equipment storage
II. Supervising Summer Rec Kids during lunch hours
A. Work with staff schedule to cover lunch responsibilities
B. (20 min onsite lunch break will be scheduled for each staff member, away from kids )
III. Other duties as needed for the success of this program
• Must love kids, especially the difficult ones . . .
• Must possess sensitivity and compassion for disadvantaged families
• Must have a positive attitude and the attributes of flexibility, creativity, and the ability to have fun
• Must enjoy making the world better, one life at a time, as part of The Salvation Army mission of Christian service, and as such have personal standards that fit with this mission
• This individual relates to, and interacts with, a wide range of contacts both within and outside the Salvation Army. In these contacts, he/she acts as a representative of the Army and its mission.
• Supervision will be given by the Summer At-Risk Program Director, or the Asst Director in absence of the Director.
• This individual will adhere to all Army policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position and will accurately represent its teachings and mission.
• Teaching experience preferred
• Some education or experience in dealing with youth.
• Must have interest and experience in working with elementary school age children
• Must be able to work calmly and patiently with children.
• Must be able to work within the mission of The Salvation Army
• Must be able to communicate effectively in interpersonal communication and written mediums.
• Display willingness to learn and be flexible.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
• This position is required to do moderate physical work, including lifting/moving items up to 30 lbs.
• This position may require standing, walking or occasional running for up to 3.5 hrs at a time
• This position is required to function in warm conditions, both indoors and out, on hot days
• This position is required to monitor playground activity for up to an hour each day
• This position requires the regular use of hands to prepare educational and activity materials
• This position requires ability to see and hear normally for child safety purposes
• This workplace and all Salvation Army property and vehicles are smoke-free environments.
Hours will normally be from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Starting date to be determined.
Since this program runs for only nine weeks, the employee in this position will be expected to work all five days each week.